ASSOCIATION ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- An open forum constituted from the college and a was discussion conducted. with the initiative of Dept.of commerce on the topic “SSV College- Past-Present-Future”.Prof R.Jagadeesh was the moderator of the programme
- Regular seminars, workshops and exhibitions are conducted.
- Industrial Visit was made to Modern Food Industries, Edappally.
- Offered a awareness program about Tally course to all the students of the College
- Invited talks were conducted for student enrichment
- Industrial Visit of the year was made to Transformers and Electricals Kerala Limited, Angamaly
- A manuscript magazine named ’Dhawani” launched which is collection of students literary contributions
- Conducted survey among the students of SSV college regarding their attitude towards ‘Role of part time job in Education
- An awareness campaign was conducted for the students about the job opportunities in different sectors.
- A visit was made to Forest Industries Travancore Limited, Aluva with the final year students
- Industrial Visit of the year was made to Eastern Condiments (P) Ltd, Adimali
- A Training class on Mural Painting was conducted for the interested students. An Exhibition of the mural paintings by Sri Ratheesh Chelamattom and Arun Gopal was conducted in relation to this.
- Organised talks by resource persons from outside college as a part of student enrichment programme
- KNOW YOUR STUDENT PROGRAMME
It is a programme launched by the department in 2012. The aim of the programmes was to identify the socio-economic background of the student and provide all types of assistance and support, if necessary. It involves the personal interaction of the concerned tutor with the family members of the student also by home visits made by the faculty
- NEWS COLLECTION REGISTER
This is an initiative by the students of the department which keep a track on the events happening in the business world. Weekly discussion of this collected news is done in the classes. This initiative will help the students to update their knowledge regarding the latest happenings in their subjects.
- A short film named “TRIP TO MANSION HOUSE” which was produced by the students of III year B.com.
- Industrial Visit of the year was made to Eastern Condiments (P) Ltd, Adimali
- The two day intercollegiate programme launched in the year 2014.The main objective of the programme was to mould the students to face the challenges in the society through conducting events which are helpful for better personality development and boost their entrepreneurial traits. It aimed at providing opportunity to students of various institutions to participate in variety of events conducted as part of the Fest. . Exhibitions, Automobile Stall, Mobile Stalls, Footstalls and Competitions were the main attractions. Around 20 colleges participated in this intercollegiate fest.
- A Manuscript magazine was published
- A talk on women empowerment was conducted for the students
- House Visits was made to the student houses as a part of “ Know your Student” ‘programme launched by the Department
- Industrial Visit of the year was made to Highlands Tea Factory, Calvarymount Kattappana and the students had an interaction session with the Managing Director of the company Fr. George, Kollamparambil
- Conducted a survey among Muthuvar in Vattavada Panchayath, Idukki. Muthuvans are one of the 36 notified tribes of Kerala. Muthuvan kudys are located in the Western Ghat region of Munnar in the Idukki district of Kerala. A Group of 5 students made an interaction with them to understand their culture and living habits
- V ,a student of III semester B com have taken a class on “Health Issues” to Higher secondary students in Guardian angel Public School,Mannoor in November2014.
- Manuscript magazine published.
- Commerce fest AKRAYA 2015 was conducted on 6thand7thFebruary2015
- A training of art of living “HAPPINESS PROGRAM” was conducted for the final year students.
- A class on “Public speaking” was organised to the selected students in the college in collaboration with JACEES Edappally.
- An Intra Collegiate Debate was organised on the topic “Abroad Education Vs Education in India was organised for the students of department
- An Intra Collegiate Quiz Competition was organised for all the students in the college on 10th July 2015. 30 students qualified the preliminary round.
- A career advancement programme was organised for the final year students by Mr. Subbarayudu, the principal of IMMRI Business School on 26th July 2016.
- The Department had organised a National Seminar on “Role of CSR on Modern Business Era” on 6th and 7th August 2015 which was funded by UGC. The seminar was conducted in collaboration with Commerce Association of Kerala. An Exhibition was also organised based on the concept of seminar
- A One Day Leadership Camp was conducted for the students of the Department on 2nd December 2015. This was done in collaboration with the Guruvayurappan Institute of Management, Coimbatore. The resource persons for the camp were Mr Harish and Mr. Unnikrishnan who were the faculties of GIM. 73 students from the department participated in the event.
- An intra collegiate IPL auction was conducted by including all the students of the college. Selected students from all the departments had participated in the event. It was organised on 8th December 2015
- Industrial Visit for the year was to Connemara Tea Factory, Vandiperiyar
- AKRAYA 16
The two day intercollegiate national level Commerce Fest which was conducted for the last 3 years by the Department of Commerce was conducted on 5th and 6th February 2016. The event was inaugurated by Sri M G Rajamanikam, Honourable District Collector, Ernakulam and was graced by the presence of Cini Artist Ms. Swasika. The attraction of the fest was competitions like Best Manager, Business Quiz, IPL Auction, Product Photography, Cycling and several spot events.
- BEST MANAGER COMPETITION
A Best Manager Competition was conducted in collaboration with Global Institute of Integral Management Studies to identify the best managers from our institution on 26th Februay2015. Over 20 students from various departments of our college participated in the preliminary section. 5 students among them were selected for the finals. The one who won the first was selected to participate in the All Kerala Best Manager Competition conducted by GIIMS.
The inauguration OF “THALIRU”, The Green Initiative, a vegetable garden by the Department of Commerce, Sree Sankara Vidyapeetom College.
The department of commerce of the college has started a green initiative called “Thalir” to encourage the use of organic vegetables. Prof S K Krishnan (Manager, SSV College) has inaugurated the function. The agricultural officer of Mazhuvannur Panchayath. Smt. Usha Mary Daniel has delivered a talk on institutional vegetable farming. Prof R Krishnakumar has delivered the presidential Address. Prof K N Raju, Dept. of Commerce and Mr. Praveen, NSS Programme officer felicitated the function.
The Entrepreneurship Development of the college had organised the formal inauguration and the sale and exhibition by students “AAVISHKAR 2K16” on 20th July 2015. The club was inaugurated by Mr.Vinod G., District Industries Officer; Kunnathunadu. The Entrepreneurship Club has recently got the recognition and registration of District Industrial Centre. The stalls were organised by different departments of the college.
- Intra Collegiate Debate Competition – An Intracollegiate Debate Competition was conducted by the department. Students from different departments participated in the competition. It was conducted in three rounds on 14th, 16th and 17th August 2017. Three different topics ( a) Influence of Media, b) Migrant Workers in Kerala and c) Kerala Culture ) were given to the participants. There were 8 departments in the preliminary session and the Department of Chemistry won the competition with Commerce ( Self financing) as runners up.
- Two Day Workshop on Digital Marketing – A two day workshop on “Digital Marketing” was organised by the department as a part of the CarpeDiem, IIM Calcutta Event on the 27th and 28th of August 2017. This was a proud moment for us as we could collaborate with IIM Calcutta, one of the finest institutions in the country and make intern. Total 75 students from colleges in Ernakulum participated in the workshop. Mr. Sree Harsha who is a leading management consultant and trainer handled the class.
- Commerce Association Inauguration and Class on Communicative Skills in English – The Commerce Association Inauguration was organised on September 15th 2017. The association was inaugurated by Dr P J Sebastian, the former H.o.D of the Department.Following the inauguration, there was a class on Communicative Skills in English for the students.
- One Day National Seminar on Goods and Service Tax – A One day National Seminar on Goods and Service Tax was organised by the Department in association with the Southern India Regional Council of ICAI and SICASA of SIRC of ICAI on 21st October 2017.the seminar was inaugurated by Dr. Santhoshkumar S., Professor, School of Management Studies, Cochin University of Science and Technology. Many renowned Chartered Accountants acted as resource person for the seminar. Over 100 participants from other colleges participated in the seminar
- One Day Industrial Visit to Kannan Devan Tea Factory, Munnar – A One day Industrial Visit was organised for the second year students of the department to Kannan Devan Tea Factory on 31st October 2017. They visited the Tea Museum and Factory at Munnar. It helped them to know about the history of plantations and the trade connected with it.
- One Day Workshop on the topic “ Introduction on Research methodology: – “ A one day workshop was conducted on the topic “ An Introduction to Research Methodology” for the fifth semester students to make them aware about the basic concepts of research methodology on 6th November 2017. Dr. Sreejith S., School of Legal Studies, Cochin University of Science and Technology handled the class. Over sixty students from V Semester of Aided and Self financing departments attended the workshop.
- One day workshop on online and offline trading in association with National Stock Exchange and Growfin Wealth Solutions, Perumbavoor. – A One day awareness class was organised by the department in association with National Stock Exchange and Growfin Wealth Solutions, Perumbavoor on 8th November 2017. The class was on the practical applications of online and offline securities trading.After the class for students an awareness class on investment in mutual funds and securities was also organised for the staff of the college.
Three day study tour to Mysore, Coorg, Chikmangalore – Final Year Students
- A Programme to promote financial literacy for college students by Mr. Binu V S, SCMS Kalamasserry. – Mr. Binu V S, Assistant Professor, School of Management and Technology, SCMS, Kalamaserry is doing a All Kerala Bike Ride to promote financial literacy for college students. Our College was the first one visited by him. He is sponsored by Hedge equities. He provided a two hour awareness class to the final and second year students on 05th July 2017.
- AKRAYA 2018 commerce fest – Coducted a south zone commerce fest named AKRAYA 2018 on 16.01.2018 and inaugurated by Manoj Guinnes (cine artist). Around 200 students participated in various events like best manager, business quiz,oru nimisham,marketing game and fungames.certificates are distributed by the principals to the winners.
- Student Enrichment classes – Ten classes on various topics such as career advancement, Personality development, Logistic management, GST etc.were conducted by different experts from Industry/ Institutions.
BLOOD DONATION CAMP
The Department of Commerce and the NSS unit of SSV College had jointly organised a blood donation camp on 26/07/2018 (Thursday) in association with the District Hospital, Aluva. The camp was inaugurated by the College Manager Prof.S.K.Krishnan at 10.00am in Self Financing Block Dr. Padma P (Principal) presided the function. District Panchayath Member Adv.N.Arun, Smt.Sathi Rajan, Member of Mazhuvannoor Panchayath and Prof. K.N.Raju, H.o.D, P.G Dept.of Commerce (self financing) felicitated the function.
The registration for blood donation was done earlier and about 102 students and faculties had given their willingness to participate in the blood donation camp. The team of Regional Blood Transfusion Centre from the District Hospital, Aluva arrived with necessary facilities in the camp by 10.30 am. The team was headed by Dr.Zulaihe, Camp Medical Officer and four other members. The blood donation camp was inaugurated by Dr.K.M Sudhakaran (H.o.D, Department of Political Science) by donating blood.
COMMERCE ASSOCIATION INAUGURATION
The commerce association inauguration was organised on 7th September 2018. The function was inaugurated by Mr.Sreekumar B., Manager of SBI Valayanchirangara. He conveyed his ideas about personality development and team work among the students. Prof Raju K.N. and Smt. Chandrika V.N felicitated the function. The students launched the webpage of the commerce association and the name given was EMINENCE 2k18.The students honored their former association secretary, also the former chairman Basil M Paul and a former faculty Mr. Aneeshkumar in the function. The function was followed by various cultural programs of the students.
TWO DAY NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON “SOFT SKILL FOR BUSINESS IN ASSOCIATION WITH IIM CALICUT AND MAKE-INTERN
The Department of Commerce have successfully organised the Two Day Workshop on “Soft Skill for Business” on 27th and 28th September 2018. Total 48 students participated in the workshop. Among them 5 were participants from outside college. The students have given a positive feedback about the course. All the sessions had many activities which needed the involvement of the students. Mr. Prawin Rambhojan, motivational speaker and trainer acted as the resource person. All the participants were given the Certificate of Participation. 5 students were selected to participate in the Finale Event which will be conducted at IIM Calicut. They were awarded merit certificates. Another outcome of this programme is the M o U signed by the Department of Commerce, SSV College with Makeintern, the famous placement agency. This gives an opportunity to the students to have placement services freely from this agency.